Monday, October 11, 2004

Al Gore is my president

I did a lot of work this morning (SHOCKING!) and now I am just kind of staring at the computer screen, drooling, wishing for more coffee and zoning out. Okay, I'm not REALLY drooling but you know. Zzzz. Is hard to be motivated especially around 3:00 on a Monday. Why is the day just not OVER yet?

Anywaaaaay.

I finally saw Fahrenheit 9/11 on Saturday (thank you, Mug!) and..., well, I can't really decide how I feel about it. It seems strange and empty to say I "liked" it. I mean, its not really a HAPPY movie, can you LIKE something like that? "Well, our president is a fucking doof, but I LOVED THAT MOVIE!" I don't know. I think it really made me kind of sad. I feel very depressed about the possibility that GW can (and probably WILL - sigh) win again. Although I am hesitant to say win AGAIN because I don't believe he even won in the first place.

And it made me miss Al Gore. Oh, Al. I kind of love you.

When I was 15 or 16 (thinks back and does some math....SIXTEEN!) and Clinton and Gore were campaining the first time around, my mom and I went to see Al speak at a gymnasium in Burlington, Vermont. It was relatively small and during a pause in his speech (possibly a lull, you know how Al can be) I yelled out "TALK ABOUT CHOICE!" He responded by saying something positive about how he and Bill would defend a woman's right to choose and the crowd started stomping their feet and yelling and screaming. He said something like "well, I guess you feel pretty strongly about that!" I remember feeling like they would win. I remember feeling HOPEFUL and EXCITED about what was going to happen to us. To America. To the world.

Now, I just feel dread.

I will be voting on November 2nd, I just got my confirmation for registering in the mail and the location where I will vote. I know it's something I can do, but I can't help feeling like Kerry is going to win Massachusetts no matter what, and I wish I could run away to Texas or Florida and vote there for once. That is where I could really possibly count.

I watched Fahrenheit 9/11 and watched clips of the news from November 2nd, 2000 declaring Al Gore the winner. And my heart just breaks.

I wonder what the world would be like, in that parallel world.

I wonder what will happen next.

I wonder what the future will look like on November 3rd.



I wonder.


|
because I said so